2016

2016

Our Story

My photo
Ben and I met in 1996, began dating in 1999 and married in 2001. Now 20 years and 2 children later, we have returned to where our life together began. Ben works for the Federal Reserve and I have the privilege of staying home with our two precious boys.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Playing Catch Up...more from June- Unexpected Events and Texas

This post is the reason our blog hiatus has lasted so long. I haven't known how to nor have I wanted to think about what I would write. The day after Father's Day, our life changed forever and we very unexpectedly lost my Dad, the boys' Grandad. I am extremely thankful that although he lived 5 hours from us that the boys had just seen him several weeks earlier at Caden's birthday party and that they have many fun memories of trips to the farm to visit him as well as memories of Grandad's visits to our house. And I am extremely thankful that I was able to speak with him the evening before I got the phone call from my brother telling me that he was gone. 

In an effort to keep the blog upbeat, I will spare the sorrow and praise the Lord for the better place that he is in and for the very best SuperMom a friend could ask for, my most precious friend and true blessing, Leigh Ann. After the boys' spent a week with Mimi and I thought I had worked out a plan to assist my family in the coming weeks, we made a pre-planned trip to Texas for Ethan to be in Ms. Kristin's wedding, his nanny while we lived there. After being there less than 24 hours, I realized that I could not let go of the feeling that I was still needed at the farm and Leigh Ann offered to step in and be Mom to not only her two wonderful kiddos, but also my two wild and crazy boys for a week! What sane person would do that???? Only someone whose love and understanding of loss is far greater than I could ever comprehend. She offered to love them, nurture them, entertain them AND agreed to ride back in the car with Ben on the return trip to help with the boys, then fly back home to her own family in Texas. What a testimony of her amazing husband, Paul, and the Lord's provision in an extremely difficult situation! She was also amazing in documenting their week together so that Mommy didn't feel completely out of touch with them :-)

Selfies
 These two are peas in a pod. Ben and I have always loved Alex like he was our own and I adore his  relationship with Ethan. From the time Ethan was born until the time we moved and each visit in between, they have always had a great time together. On this trip, they even decided they wanted to bunk together!
 I left them with my car so I'm sure their trips were lively adventures wherever they went! I think this one may have been on their way to the movie theater. Isn't she brave taking a 6, 4, 3, and 1 year old to the movies by herself!!!
Popcorn & PJ Night
 Look at that precious face!
Best Buddies
 They had tons of playtime! Ethan had one of the best weeks of his life and he still talks about how much he misses Alex.
Spray Park
 This is one of the biggest reasons that I miss Rockwall! We spent every week at a different spray park and they were all free! I had never imagined having to pay admission to them until we moved back to Georgia.
Horseback Riding
 
 So, Ethan LOVES horses and Alex takes horseback riding lessons. Leigh Ann asked Alex's equestrian teacher if Ethan could come along and ride and the teacher agreed! Ethan was beyond thrilled and Leigh Ann made sure that he looked like a cowboy for his special lesson, boots and all :-)
 Alex was even allowed to lead Ethan around the corral. He had so much fun!
Rehearsal time
 
 Ethan was a big boy and lead Harper down the aisle to their spot.
 
 And then standing next to Ms. Kristin
Wedding Bells
Two of my handsome boys all decked out the day of the wedding. Paul graciously agreed to watch Caden while Ben, LA, and Ethan went to the wedding.
 Love his silly face and pink bowtie!
 
 He was fabulous and did exactly what he was supposed to do! I am so proud of him for being a big boy and following directions.
Reception
They stuck around for the beginning of the reception before rushing back home to help with little Katherine and Caden. Kristin had cute props for them to take pictures with and they had a good time making funny faces. 
Duck Commander
On the long drive home, what trip would be complete without a stop checking out Willie's stomping grounds. The crew definitely walked away with a few mementos to document their visit to this infamous place.

Words will never be able to express how deeply grateful I am to have someone in my life who could step into my role as a Mom during a time where I was a complete mess and love my children the way I do...probably showing them more patience than I do myself. Leigh Ann was exactly what Ethan and Caden needed that week and she was able to offer them a sense of security and love at a time that could have been potentially devastating to my children. Only God can orchestrate a beautiful blessing such as this.

No comments: