2016

2016

Our Story

My photo
Ben and I met in 1996, began dating in 1999 and married in 2001. Now 20 years and 2 children later, we have returned to where our life together began. Ben works for the Federal Reserve and I have the privilege of staying home with our two precious boys.

Thursday, November 6, 2014

August 1st

August 1st is a very special day to Ben. It was his mother's birthday. This year August 1st was a very busy day for us! 

We started the day at Sam & Harper's impromptu birthday party. After the party festivities, we headed outside and tried our best to get a decent cousin picture. Considering our age range was 2 months to 8 years, we were happy that they were at least all close enough together to fit in the camera lens. In theory, it was a great idea and a cute shot :-)

 Then we spent the rest of our time playing. Aunt Wanda took full advantage of the opportunity and rode the push car all the way down the hill almost hitting the fence. Caden had the most serious look on his face and was completely captivated by this site while the rest of us couldn't stop laughing!

In the meantime, Uncle Chad and Aunt Ashley were at the hospital awaiting this little arrival. My phone was near all day as I got updates. Collier Grace came into this world healthy and whole and made me an Aunt for the very first time! I am in LOVE!!! Considering she is the only baby girl in my life, she has been completely spoiled and I can not stop buying the cutest little monogrammed outfits for her...unfortunately to the detriment of our checking account. But she is soooo worth it! While Ben isn't too excited about the spending spree, he is thrilled that she now shares his mother's birthday.
 While I was disappointed that I couldn't be there for her birth, I made the trip to see her that weekend. And boy, was it a trip I will never forget! Allow me to share...
First, there were tornado warnings in our area so I had to leave later than I had planned. 
Second, I couldn't beat rush hour traffic so I had to go the long way adding an extra hour and a half to the trip.
Third, I drank too much on the road and about 2 hours into my trip I had to go to the bathroom. Since I was in the middle of nowhere, I sped up in an effort to quickly find a restroom. And Behold, a policeman appears from his hiding spot and gave me a ticket...then politely told me how far I was to the next gas station.
Fourth, a little later I realized that I had to stop for dinner and figured I would fill up since I had to stop anyway. As I began to pump gas, it began to pour down buckets of rain. When I got back in the car, it would not crank. Yep, pouring rain in a car that won't start in the middle of a place I had never been and did not know a soul. Since I was in Ben's car for the weekend, I had no jumper cables. Thankfully, the service station had jumper cables behind the counter and two nice young men offered to help. By the time we were finished, the car started right up but we were soaked! And what do you know, as soon as I got back on the road the rain miraculously stopped.
Fifth, after finally arriving at Chad and Ashley's, the car started right back up the rest of the weekend with no problem at all. Really, REALLY!!!!
But as soon as I got there and put on dry clothes so that I could hold this precious girl, it was all forgotten. Please excuse the drowned rat look...

No comments: